Paul Stemman

Deaf Info

Home > Health and wellbeing > Mental health > What to do if you think you may need some support

What to do if you think you might need some support

If you are concerned about your mental health there are things you can do.


If you have a friend or person you feel you can turn to, then tell them. Often, just sharing how you feel can be a big help.


If you urgently need someone to ‘talk’ to, you can now text (SMS) the Samaritans on 07725 909090 or e-mail


Your GP is normally the first person to see. They will be able to assess your mental health and discuss what the next step is.


Your doctor may feel they can offer the necessary support, or they might refer you to someone else. Possible next steps are:


Medication – doctors frequently prescribe medication for a wide range of mental health problems. There are a group of drugs commonly used for the treatment of depression. These drugs are known as SSRIs and include Prozac. Whatever medication you might be prescribed, it is important that the doctor arranges to assess you again soon.


Counselling or therapy – you may be referred to a counsellor or therapist. This might be someone who works in the GP practice, or someone you will have to see elsewhere. With a counsellor, you are normally given the chance to talk about your thoughts and feelings, and explore these. Different therapists will take different approaches. Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) is becoming increasingly popular. CBT often involves just a few short sessions that focus on a ‘problem’ and gives you strategies to cope with problems.


SignHealth also run a counselling service for Deaf people. They will help you find a therapist and try to get your Primary Care Trust to pay for the therapy.


Exercise – some enlightened doctors are now beginning to prescribe exercise for some patients who are depressed. There is a growing body of evidence that says physical exercise can be effective in cases of depression.


Referral to a mental health service – the NHS has special Trusts that just deal with mental health. They tend to see people whose mental health problem cannot easily be dealt with by a GP or practice nurse. The staff working for mental health trusts have more expertise and knowledge of mental health difficulties. They have special in-patient units for people that are very unwell, and community teams that support patients who still live at home.


Specialist Deaf services – within the UK there are three specialist services for Deaf adults experiencing mental distress. These services are part of bigger mental health trusts, and the staff have expertise in mental health. Everyone working there uses sign language, and is aware of Deaf culture. This means that in some cases these are the best places to assess and support you.


You can contact the three Deaf centres yourself, or ask someone else to support you. The London service will accept self-referrals, but for the Birmingham service you will need to be referred by your GP. There are centres in London, Birmingham and Manchester. These are their contact details:



National Deaf Service, Old Church, 146a Bedford Hill, Balham, London, SW12 9HW

Voice: 020 8675 2100

Minicom: 020 8675 2200

Videophone: 020 8675 9707

Fax: 020 8675 2266




Jasmine Suite, Barberry Building, Queen Elizabeth Psychiatric Hospital, Mendelsohn Way, Edgbaston, Birmingham, B15 2QZ

Voice: 0121 301 2450

Fax: 0121 301 2451




John Denmark Unit, Bury New Road, Prestwich, Manchester, M25 3BL

Voice: 0161 772 3400

Minicom: 0161 772 3407

Fax: 0161 798 5853



There is also a specialist service for Deaf children and young people under 18 who have an emotional or mental health problem. The service sees children in their school or at home, and works with the family. The team also has an in-patient unit in South London for children needing intensive support, or a complex assessment.


Deaf Child and Family Service, High Trees, Springfield University Hospital, 61 Glenburnie Road, London, SW17 7DJ

Voice: 020 8682 6925

Minicom: 0208 682 6950

Fax: 020 8682 6461




SignHealth has a nationwide counselling service, for people to talk/sign directly with a counsellor (without the need for an interpreter). You can contact the service if you feel you need counselling support.


SignHealth, 13 Wilson Patten Street, Warrington, Cheshire, WA1 1PG


Voice: 01925 652520

Minicom: 01925 652529

Videophone: 01925 630169

Fax: 01925 652526