Paul Stemman

Deaf Info

Home > Health and wellbeing > Alcohol and drug use

Alcohol and drug use

In some cases the specialist deaf mental health services may be able to offer support. A lot of people get support from groups such as Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) and Narcotics Anonymous (NA). Here people support each other by talking about their battle against addiction and encourage others to stay sober or clean.

Westminster and Pimlico Deaf/HoH group

This group is now over ten years old. It meets every Tuesday at 7pm at The Hinsley Rooms, Morpeth Terrace, SW1 (behind Westminster Cathedral). All meetings are BSL interpreted and a well-maintained loop is installed for hearing aid users. SMS 07941 084 112.

More information

If you want support with alcohol or drug use then your GP is the often best person to contact. They can then support you and refer you to the most appropriate services.

It has been recognised that drug and alcohol services fof deaf people are not good enough. The Government's Central Office for Information published a report in 2004 that highlighted many of the gaps in services - especially prevention - for deaf people. Drug Misuse and People with Hearing Impairment (MS Word file) looked at the research and made recommendations for further work.

Alcohol Concern and Drugscope have published useful guidance on Drug education for young deaf people. This briefly describes some of the problems faced by young deaf people. It also describes the challenges that professionals face in working with young deaf people.

There has also been some academic research into the prevalence on alcohol use among deaf people who have a mental health problem. Among their findings was the lack of appropriate early intervention services. The paper can be downloaded here.